What is a filter cartridge? Simply put, a filter cartridge is a device used to clean fluid by removing contaminants as the fluid passes through the cartridge.
Cartridges are an important piece of industrial filtration equipment. Filter cartridges are inserted into a filter housing. As water or liquid flows through that housing, it passes through the cartridge which traps unwanted particles, pollutants, or chemicals.
There are several different types of cartridges and each type includes a wide range of materials and micron ratings. This allows them to be used across various industries and for many different types of applications. Most all cartridges can be sorted into one of the three main categories: depth, hydraulic and pleated.
A depth filter cartridge is able to retain a large amount of contaminant before becoming clogged. This is due to their unique graded density design.
- Particles caught throughout the entire cross section of filter versus just at the surface
- Graded density design
- More open at the OD and progressively tighter moving in towards the ID
- As the liquid tries to find the path of least resistance, particles are trapped across entirety of the depth media
- Especially good for gelatinous and deformable particles
Top Markets for Depth Filters:
- Paints and Coatings
- Products with gels
Hydraulic filter cartridges play an important role in keeping hydraulic systems running smoothly.
- Used for purifying fluids
- Mineral oil
- Synthetic oil
- Help protect hydraulic components (such as servo valves)
- Created using pleated microglass or a synthetic media
- Some have water absorbing material added between two layers of microglass
- This helps remove moisture
Top Markets for Hydraulic Filters:
- Power Generation
- Mobile Equipment
- Hydraulic Power Units
- Machine Tools
- Lubrication Systems
- Fuels and Chemicals
Pleated cartridges offer a longer life due to their extended surface area.
- General rule of thumb: double the surface area, triple the life of the filter
- These filters are thin and create a barrier against the contaminant
- Available in a wide range of materials
- Microglass, polypropylene, nylon, polyethersulfone, teflon
- Ideal for a vast range of applications
- Typically can go tighter than a depth filter
Top Markets for Pleated Filters:
- Food and Beverage
- Bottled and Municipal Water
- Oil and Gas
- Pharmaceutical and Biopharm
- High Purity and Process Water
Each type of cartridge is unique in the way it performs, so it is important to understand the differences between each cartridge type to ensure that you choose the correct one for your application. Not quite sure which type of cartridge would best suit your filtration needs? Don't worry, our filter experts would be happy to work with you to determine a solution.